Using valid player key throwing SETUP_LICENSE_ERROR when application is hosted

When I use the player localhost, with vr settings following the react bundled app tutorial, the webplayer works fine without any issues, but when hosting it on vercel, with the only key/license we were provided, despite upstream content being loaded properly, the media player displays “SETUP_LICENSE_ERROR”. Why does this happen and how can I fix it so we can finish building our MVP?

Hi @tarekali15

Would it be possible for you to check that you have added the correct domain(s) for the license in the Bitmovin Dashboard (Player > License > Choose license > Domains / Package Names / Bundle Identifiers) Bitmovin Docs - Player FAQ - How can I allowlist a domain, IP, app ID, package name, or bundle identifier?

In addition, you should be able to open the console of your browser and notice a post-request to https://licensing.bitmovin.com/licensing. In the response to this post, you should be able to get an error message - e.g. like {"status":"denied","message":"Your player is not allowed to play on the domain d2z6pwfqp8ywfi.cloudfront.net."}

I hope this helps.

BR
Peder

I have added the correct domain for the license in the dashboard and looking at chrome dev tools, the only requests cast by fetch/xhr are to my firebase storage instance, I don’t see any requests to bitmovin endpoints, and as such, do not see the accompanied json error message response.

Hi @tarekali15

Would it be possible for you to share the page where your player is hosted? You write that you don’t see any requests to Bitmovin endpoints - does this mean that you’re hosting the player on your own CDN? Or are you fetching the player from the CDN Bitmovin is using? Is it possible to share a HAR capture file from Google Chrome?

Looking at the error it seems to point to a wrong license key (Bitmovin Docs - Player Web SDK v8 API - Errors), even though you may already have done so, please re-check that the license you are using is the one found in the Bitmovin Dashboard under Player > License

Do you see any errors/info messages in the console part of the dev tools in your browser?

If possible, please also send me a DM with either your account email, or your player license.

Thank you.

Peder Borg Borup

1. The page is hosted here: VR Video Hosting App
  2. With regards to hosting, I don’t believe we are using a CDN; our hosting provider is vercel though; I am following the react bundled player demo; with regards to upstream files, they are served thru firebase storage with progressive streaming.
  3. Here is a capture file of the videos page: testvideopagevisit.har - Google Drive
  4. I have triple-checked the license key env var, it is the same/only license key we have created.
  5. Here is the console output:
  6. I will DM an email unless there is a forum issue, thanks.

Ok for some reason I can’t DM when I press your profile and messages icon it only shows discobot greeting message,

Hi @tarekali15

I discussed this with my colleagues, and it could point to the player license key not being defined/set correctly.

Looking at the console it contains Error while loading source: undefined. Inspecting the player object more closely shows that the “key” has not been populated:

Going back to 437.8cda8299394e2fdb.js this holds a reference to the key:

“playerConfig”,{key:p.env.BITMOVIN_KEY}

I then used the “Local Overrides” function in Chrome to modify 437.8cda8299394e2fdb.js - and hardcoded my license key:

“playerConfig”,{key:“49058346-BC4A-47AB-BED9-85B2DDABFBF2”}

Doing this change enables playback, and the console shows a correct license key:

Would it be possible for you to further investigate the population of the BITMOVIN_KEY variable, or as an alternative hard code the value?

I hope this helps.

Best regards
Peder

huh that’s odd, hardcoding our license key displays the video in the player for a minute amount of frames then it shows the error. Using your key works fine though. Let me DM.

Hi @tarekali15

I’ve responded to your private message. Let me know if that helps.

BR
Peder

Changes to code enabling the license to be set correctly and disabling “Third Party Licensing” in Bitmovin Dashboard solved the problem.