Did you know that our Live Encoder supports VP9?
Recently we ran this configuration through it’s paces and made sure it’s more optimised than ever before. Of course we test and validate it with our player, meaning with Bitmovin you can quickly start working with an end-to-end VP9 solution!
Here’s a little more info on VP9.
VP9 is an open-source video codec that was developed by Google. The codec is known for its high compression efficiency and low latency, making it suitable for a wide range of applications. Some of the benefits of VP9 include:
- Improved compression efficiency: VP9 can achieve higher compression rates compared to other video codecs, which means it requires less bandwidth to transmit video content. This is particularly important for applications where bandwidth is limited, such as streaming video over the internet or transmitting video over mobile networks.
- Lower latency: VP9 has a low decoding latency, which means that videos can start playing faster and with fewer interruptions. This makes it an attractive option for real-time video applications, such as video conferencing and live streaming.
- High video quality: VP9 uses advanced video compression techniques that preserve the quality of the original video content, even at low bit rates. This makes it a good choice for applications where high-quality video is important, such as in the entertainment or educational industries.
- Cross-platform compatibility: VP9 is an open-source codec that is supported by a wide range of devices and platforms, including web browsers, smartphones, and smart TVs. This makes it an attractive option for applications that need to reach a large and diverse audience.
Some of the markets where VP9 is most useful include:
- Online video streaming: VP9 is widely used for online video streaming, especially for platforms like YouTube, where bandwidth is a critical factor.
- Mobile devices: VP9’s efficient compression and low latency make it an attractive option for video applications on mobile devices, such as video conferencing and live streaming.
- Virtual reality and augmented reality: VP9’s ability to handle high-quality video content at low bit rates makes it a good choice for VR and AR applications, where high-quality video is essential for an immersive experience.
- Education and training: VP9’s ability to preserve video quality and deliver content quickly and efficiently makes it a good choice for educational and training applications, where high-quality video is important for learning and engagement.