Buffer stops buffering after few seconds on PS4

Hello,

I’m experiencing a buffering problem on PS4. For the PS4 I’m on SDK 11.008.001 using WEBMAF 3.2.0, and Bitmovin SDK is 8.138.0.

After launching a stream, the video stops buffering after 1-2 minute(s), and then it stops buffering even if I do pause into play. It starts to buffer again only when going backward or forward on the stream. I get the same result with or without DRM.

I’ve tested it with your PS4 sample player by following the documentation for the Web SDK implementation and the PS4 implementation, and it’s worse. The video is played twice faster and jumps 4 seconds by 4 seconds until it stops buffering.

Do you have any idea on how this issue could be fixed ?

Thanks,

Hi @nicolas.hoarau , welcome to Bitmovin Community forum and thanks for sharing the behaviour here.

To start with, can you please test with WebMAF version 3.1.4 or 3.1.6? These are the versions with which Bitmovin player SDK is tested at the moment.

Also did you test Bitmovin PS4 sample with Bitmovin provided sample content and are you able to see the reported behaviour using it?

Yes, I have tested it with your PS4 sample player by following the documentation for the Web SDK implementation and the PS4 implementation, and it’s worse. The video is played twice faster and jumps 4 seconds by 4 seconds until it stops buffering, no matter if it’s WEBMAF 3.1.5, 3.1.6 or 3.2.0.

Also, if I’m playing a live stream, the application completely crashes with WEBMAF 3.1.6 and 3.2.0. But, with WEBMAF 3.1.5 it can’t charge more than 2 seconds before buffering again, but it doesn’t crash.

To finish, both of these problems happen with or without DRM.

Thanks for your response @nicolas.hoarau . We do not see this issue with Bitmovin sample application running on PS4 device using WebMAF 3.1.4 or 3.1.5 with Bitmovin sample HLS and DASH assets.

To check the behaviour that you observe, we will need investigation, so request you to open a support ticket via your Bitmovin dashboard account and share details

• test content etc
  • your test application.
  • Bitmovin player logs(debug level) from the issue repro.

Thank you for your reactivity, a ticket has been created here is the link to it: https://bitmovin.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/18298

Thanks @nicolas.hoarau