Bitmovin Player now supports the latest tvOS15+ playback experience features

Hi community!

As many of you will know, Apple has recently introduced a whole bunch of new features in tvOS15+, aimed to deliver a totally new and more immersive playback experience to viewers: Apple Developer Documentation

We’re glad to announce that, since version 3.23.0 and later of our iOS/tvOS SDK, our Player started supporting most of those features, including but not limited to:

Feel free to give it a try and let us know what you think!

4 Likes

We are in the process of switching to the tvOS 15 player and all of its new features.

I have noticed that there are still some missing features in the Bitmovin library, including:

• Interstitial content (creating markers in the transport bar)
  • Livestream swipe channel change
  • And most importantly, all of the methods that are associated with the AVPlayerViewControllerDelegate - which provides callbacks for many important events in the tvOS 15 player.

If these are indeed supported already, can you point to the appropriate documentation?

Thanks,

JT

I don’t see ContextualActions integrated into Bitmovin yet. Is there any update upon that?

Hi all,

Thanks for sharing your interest in the additional features for tvOS15. We don’t have a timeline for these unfortunately, however I can confirm that we are going to be looking into Interstitials soon as an important topic. We will share an update here when we have one.

Please keep us updated if there’s other requirements.

Thanks,
Jacob

Glad to inform you that our iOS/tvOS SDK now supports Interstitial markers as of version 3.41.0: https://developer.bitmovin.com/playback/docs/release-notes-ios#3410