Background Playback Support on Android for Bitmovin Player React Native

Which product is your request related to?

Player

Description

Hello Bitmovin team,

I am currently developing an audiobook application using React Native and utilizing the Bitmovin Player (bitmovin-player-react-native) for media playback. Our app requires the ability to continue playback when the app goes into the background, which is a crucial feature for an audiobook app to provide a seamless user experience.

Current Situation:

Currently, when the app goes into the background on Android, playback is paused. This disrupts the listening experience for our users, as they often switch between apps or lock their screens while listening to audiobooks.

Feature Request:

We would like to request the addition of background playback support for the Bitmovin Player on Android within the React Native SDK. This feature should allow audio playback to continue even when the app is not in the foreground.

Hi there @developer1

Thanks for raising this request, and I’m pleased to let you know this is something we’ve got on our short term roadmap for the next month or two, so we’ll come back to you when this is released!

Thanks,
Jacob

Product Manager | Playback

Hi @jacob.arends ,

Thank you for the update! I’m glad to hear that background playback is on the short-term roadmap. I’ll be looking forward to hearing from you once it’s released.

Thanks again,
Developer